Thursday, May 1, 2008

Family Room






View outside the Kitchen/Family Room

The family room is really going to be a part of the new kitchen design. It is completely open to the kitchen. The furniture will sit right in front of the french doors leading out to the veranda, with the kitchen behind, and the breakfast turret off to the side. The current living room fireplace will disappear, and cabinetry for the entertainment systems and TV will be in this location.

Since it will be the place the family will hang out to watch TV, and since the new Great Room will be a part of a later phase of construction, I wanted to make sure the space is both stylish AND very comfortable. I am really leaning toward a sectional sofa to define the space.

The two rooms below are concepts we like. Open and integrated into the kitchen design.
The first one is from an Atlanta kitchen design firm. I like everything about this space, especially the plank and beam ceiling, and the multiple finishes on the cabinetry.




This photo is of Cindy Crawford's Malibu estate. I like the casual inviting, yet high-end looking space. The blue color is also very appealing.


Below is a sectional that we saw at Arhaus furniture. It is in stock, made up in this antique looking leather with nail head trim, and a pewter velvet. It is much farther into the transitional realm than I normally will go, but I was surprised by how well it blended with all of our stuff, including some pieces I have my eye on from Bausman, Dennis and Leen, and Formations. I had been searching for a sectional that was interesting but not overly trendy looking. Because it is such a big piece, I thought it needed to have some personality. I like that it is relatively short for a sofa, making the view outside more visible. It is also completely modular, giving me more flexibility with the layout.

So, despite never being one to consider a "stock" item, I brought home the velvet sample from Arhaus. The gray color must have tinges of brown or green in it, because it blends with absolutely every earth toned fabric I own. I don't know if this is a good option for a kids' family room sofa, but I love how the color looked with stainless appliances, copper accessories, and all of the painted and distressed wood finishes I have selected. It is both subdued and interesting with a little sparkle from the velvet sheen.

Today I looked at Sunbrella velvets, which might be a better option for maintenance with kids. I am also open to other textures as long as they are very soft and kid friendly. Ultrasuede is another potential low maintenance option, but I have not found a color that compares to the velvet. Who knows, my search for the perfect sectional may be nearing its end already.






Our veranda and back yard will be visible through three sets of french doors. I have ordered furniture for this area from Summer Classics, the Sedona and Park Collection shown below. I made sure that this furniture blended with my other fabrics (Linen Lee Jofa print drapery)and kitchen cabinetry ideas.
The fabric for the outdoor furniture is Sunbrella Palm and Fife Wheat, also shown below. The outdoor dining chairs and lounge chairs will be a black walnut wicker.

Sedona Collection seating with Palm pillows (Our wicker finish is darker)