Saturday, May 3, 2008

Trim styles




I range in my affinity for trim styles between very traditional and pretty rustic. Geri and I walked through a house at Spring Hill Farm in McLean that did a nice job merging the two styles. I am hoping we can do the same thing with our house. The trick is to do it so that it looks like it belongs together, rather than I just could not decide on my style direction. I have collected a menage of trims below and will look for direction from our architect, builder and designers.




This is the Homestead Preserve showhouse done by Barry Dixon. I adore what was done with the trim in this house. It looks almost like a beading in the doorways and crown. I like the proportions too...not too overpowering, yet substantial looking.

I do not really care for this extent of wainscoting/paneling. I am focusing on the arched opening details, and the way that they tucked a closet door right into it. I thought it was cleaver.


In the photo above, I like the opening and the drapery panel concept. It could also be done big drawing doors like in this photo of the Tysons Pottery Barn store below.





This photo is a nice depiction of how I would envision our hallway arches. I like that the rustic beams are visible, yet blend with the traditional trim.



Another option would be to do this plaster look.






I have had this photo for years. I love the horizontal wainscoting. I think the did a great job with the window proportions. ...and I love the wide plank flooring that seems in scale with the space. This space seems balanced to me, despite the high ceiling and the strange shape of the room.



This is an inviting hallway to me. The trim is more formal, but balanced with the space.




sc00fd3a97.jpg

potomac+valley+builders+kitchen+2-6.jpg

2003_e-StevenBrooke.jpg




I have had the photo above for years. I love the wainscoting, the room layout, the vaulted ceiling and the furnishings. The colors are not my usual pick, but I think it has a really relaxing, yet elegant appeal.