Saturday, August 16, 2008

Master Bath Ideas, Plans, and Elevations



Bathroom Interior

We really want to tie the bedroom decor tightly to this bath. I will be keeping my blue and white toile drapery, my english print linen chairs, and the Karastan wool sisal carpet, as well as the big bed. I found a mosaic tile with a blue flowering vine in it, and it has been my inspiration for the whole bathroom. Oddly, I have no idea if it will fit into the plan, or will end up needing to be customized to work. I just know that it made it easier to pick out things I like, and eliminate other options by staying in line with this mosaic sample. (from Casa Mosaics at Architectural Ceramics.)



The mosaic is shown in the first picture (4th row down, blue flowering vine) and a similar colored version is photographed next to my English chair linen print fabric.

There are a few other mosaics that I have seen at Waterworks and Ann Sacks Tile that are also beautiful. I guess I pictured the mosaic being used to create a rug in the tile floor. That was an additional reason I did not use a lot of angles to fit things together. The current floor plan allows me to do a rectangular shaped tile rug.
























This is a Waterworks tile rug. I love how subtle it is. I would love to do something like this in our floor, adding the blue flowering vine somehow. Another mosaic rug design is below. Both are the warm colors that seem to blend with our bedroom furnishings. I love the herringbone and the basket weave affect of these two samples.


























The color of the marble or limestone needs to feel warm, with more of a yellow or brown tone. So far I like Crema Marfil, Botticino, and Jerusalem limestone. I still like the white Carrera marble seen in the tub surround photo (below) too, but if we used this, I would select a warm looking white slab, rather than a bluish gray slab.

After deciding on the color range for the tile, I looked at other tiles that would compliment the mosaic rug. This is definitely an area where I would give some direction of what I like, and then let someone who does this everyday give a lot of input as to how to put it together. Overall, I want this bathroom to feel seamless and understated, yet elegant, casual, and functional. I don't want the tile to jump out and dominate over the cabinetry , the fixtures or the ceiling treatments.



























The two photos above are tiles are also from Architectural Ceramics. They appeal to me because they have a hand done look, and have a crackle glaze and soft colors. The tiles below are versions of embossed white/ivory and natural stone or marble. I think they are all so timeless and will blend with everything else beautifully.





































The existing layout for the Master Bedroom and Bath is here.



Geri finally convinced us that we should move the Master Bath to the new wing and I could not be happier about how it all worked out. My big concern was the view and privacy , since some of the windows will face the driveway.
We liked the idea of keeping it at the back of the house, and with a view to the outside. The biggest reason to move it was because the hallway to this bath was too confined in its current state of 34". It was difficult to make the bathroom feel like more than a closet entrance without a grander hall width. We worked with the layout and window placement to make sure that the Bath in the new wing has privacy and a nice view of the side garden.


The final layout has the vanities and toilet closet closer to the bedroom, with the shower and tub areas farther away. It will be nice to have a little bit of distance from the shower noise for early morning departures, and putting out bath in the new wing also helps keep any bathroom noise at night far from the sleeping kids.

We put the tub in a cozy nook with a view of the window, similar to my most recent plan. Once I found the photo (below) of the tub with the large beveled mirror back panel, I was no longer interested in putting the tub under the window.




For the closet, I would like an island, and a three section mirror like a dressing room.



ELEVATIONS



I have done an elevation and a sample photograph for each wall in the bathroom. The photos are all from different bathrooms, so there will need to be some decisions about the door styles, finishes, etc.




11-13-2008 This has not been updated with the new wig plan, but I wanted to leave the elvation up until I replace it. The style will be similar, but will fit in the newly created bath space.
The Double Sink Vanity Wall Elevation
This will be the first wall visible upon entering the Master Bath.


























I love this photo because it has some great space saving elements in a substantial looking space. I love the side and front access tall cabinet (more clearly displayed in another photo). I also love the deep drawer under the sink. I always thing sink cabinets are not very user freindly, but this configuration would work really well. I love sconces in the mirror or
trim. What I would add to this space is the mini shelf above the backsplash pictured here and in my drawing. The sinks and faucets can be simple and traditional. I would be fine selecting them once all of the tile work and cabinetry is worked out. Then, I would choose something complimentary.

I have requirements for the products I want to fit in my sink area and vanity area. The cabinets need to be customized to fit our needs. I want pull out cabinets that fit commonly used bottles, and for my hot rollers and hairdryer to remain easy to get to and put away. I also want a GF outlet inside the cabinet so that those items can remain plugged in.








































11-13-2008 I have not updated this elevation the fit the new wing bath yet, but it will be very similar.
The Tub Wall Elevation
Here I need to work out how we can mimic this photo as closely as possible. We want a simple tub, hopefully 6', minimum 5.5'. No whirlpool. I like everything about how this tub was done. I wondered if the side panels could be pull out pantry like cabinets.


















































11-13-2008 This is an old idea I have not updated yet with the new plan. The new vanity area will be just off the bedroom, in the nook with the coffee/wine bar.
The Vanity Window Wall Elevation
Concept and inspiration photos.

This is an opportunity to create a display and storage area. The window will be replaced. I would like it to be adjusted to about a 36" height (currently about 32") and we might consider doing a segmented top.





I love the simple cabinet design finished with a little glaze and a pretty foot detail.
This is one of Barry Dixon's bathrooms.





































11-13-2008 Also not updated yet, but the shower drawing will be similar to the elevation below.
The Shower and Toilet Closet Elevation
The shower tile should not be too complex. We are looking into shower fixtures. I like the idea of a steam shower, and an ceiling spray, but we have not decided on anything yet. I have not decided if it would be better to do a glass screen across the area (shown in drawing), or to leave the entrance area open and just have glass to enclose the true shower area.
























Older Bathroom Photos before we really honed what we wanted.....


This tub is positioned at the window, similar the layout we had done recently. I don't care for the dark tile, but I like the space.





This bathroom is more the color scheme and cabinetry detailing that I would envision in our new bath. I like the blue and white touches too, which would compliment our blue and white toile fabric.