Thursday, December 11, 2008

Foyer ideas


The foyer right now is really a large gallery hall. I like that the light from the front windows will flow right through to the two off-center openings into Great Room during the day. I also like that visitors will have a view of a more grand formal part of the house, and will quickly be able to see right through the house to the outdoors. The terminating ends of the hall will be doors to library on one end, and a built-in, or china cabinet on the kitchen end. It is a big space, but somehow I want it to feel cozy and inviting.


The immediate focal point will be the wall directly opposite of the front door. There will probably be a piece of furniture on that wall, with an arrangement of prints, lamps, pictures and other welcoming accessories that give hints about what the rest of the house might look like.

I am picturing wide plank wainscoting in the foyer, with maybe some rustic trim or beams,, but not overdone.

These are photos from the Old Dominion Southern Accents show house.
I visited this show house in person and I have never seen a more beautiful wall finish. I love random width wainscoting and the antique hand done finish. The birds and tree branches were a bonus, but it would have been stunning even without them. I could see doing something like this in the foyer, since we only have one full wall and we want it to be special.





This would be a variation from the theme. Remove the dining set from this photo, and there is a beautiful framed wall, buffet, mirror and accessories for the foyer wall. I even like the hand painted wall. Also notice the parquet floor. The next photo is from a company called Patina Old World Floors out of CA.

The next couple of photos are all of groupings and furniture pieces and wall finishes that I could envision in the foyer. None of them are exactly our style, I am focusing more on the possible composition of the space.





Charles Faudree home.



This is one of my favorite "Grand Hall" pictures. It is much more traditional, but it looks like a pleasant space rather than a cavernous hall.