Monday, May 5, 2008

Mommy Office

The Mommy Office will be a part of the Phase 1 L-shaped wing off the front of the house.
I will be adding some elevation ideas in the next day or two.

I positioned my office in this new wing to be a central monitoring area of the kitchen, family entrance, and driveway. I want a large window and my desk set up like the photo below, but the office will be an actual room I can work in alone, closed off from everyone. I need a project table, tons of lateral file space (16 lf), little pretty drawers for all of my office necessities. I like items separated and labeled ("Staplers", Tape", Glue" Batteries", etc.) All the stuff that I get asked for all the time from therapists and kids. It all needs to have a place, not in one big drawer that I need to root through and hope for the best.

The photo below struck me because it has so many elements that I am looking for in our kitchen design. Color, (Greens, warm reds, golds, browns) with metals, great fabrics, and both rustic and formal elements. But, coincidently, the mini-office area that is part of this kitchen, is what I had envisioned for my own office. A nice wide workspace in front of the window, with the tall cabinets pushed all the way to the ends of the wall so that they don't obstruct the working area at all.


I like this photo for the happy green cabinet, a really nice shade for my office. Also the ceiling treatment and the little chandelier.

The pictures below show a home in Avenel that I toured. The owner had custom black cabinetry with red toile accents. I could see myself using distressed black cabinetry in my office. Either black, or maybe a sage color, depending on what we do in the kitchen.




The powder room adjacent to the office was similar.


It looked like a happy and productive space altogether. It gave me the idea to use my black painted china cabinet, which is too small for the planned scale of the new home as a display cabinet in my new office. I would have black cabinets made for lateral files, maybe a window seat. Possibly use my Jaime Young lamp. I think the whole space would end up feeling very comforting to me, because now I would be using some pieces that have been with us for a long time to create a space for myself to control this house.

I may even use my black Chinosserie Sligh clock in here.