Monday, May 5, 2008

Older Architectural Plans


This space will be dedicated to our most recent elevations and floor plans.

My notes about changes we would like to make to the drawings will be here. It will basically be a recap of meetings with the architect, as well as anything Larry and I talked about further as we reviewed the plans on our own. It will be a nice central location for everyone involved in working on our plans.

Please go to our link to review our thoughts.




Proposed Front and Rear Elevations May 2008

You can click on the image below now to enlarge it and see our notes.


We are very happy with how this is progressing. I would like input from the builder about finishes and details too.

Doors:
There is a question about how high the doors will be. The schedule says 6'8", but I don't think that would be the right scale. I am thinking 7' or more.

Windows:
I still don't like the concrete looking detail over the front elevation windows. I either want them recessed in the stucco with no detail above, or possibly with stone chiseled headers.
The window lites still need work, especially on the back of the house where the transoms look too flat. The segmented window on the front of the house needs another look too.

Dormers:
We really like the look of curved roof lines, rather than straight or a single break. The two dormers over our daughter's room are open for suggestions. I am just not sure what would be best here.

Turret:
The roof is much too fat. I want it exactly as it is in this photo. I also want the windows like this. No transom. I like how the windows in the photo leave the lites at the top so that the eye level view is unobstructed, and the window there is easier to clean.


Proposed May 2008 Main Level

I have adjusted a few things, visible by clicking on the image to enlarge it. We may keep the existing fireplace in the new Dining Room. I realize that it may be assymmetrical on the wall, but there may be a way to treat the wall so that it is less noticeable. Also, we may opt for a round dining table to better fit the space.




Proposed May 2008 Upper Level Plan

This level has gone through some major reworking and I think it is just about meeting all of our criteria now. There are door width issues that I have noted on the plan. I would also like to bulk up a few doorways, not to the extent that we are doing downstairs, but enough to give some weight to the space. Maybe an 8" exposed wall in a few locations.


Proposed May 2008 Basement Level

See notes: We want an apartment area in the denoted location.







Older drawings
Prior to 4/29/2008



The adjustments to the main level floor plan are getting smaller. Geri and I put pocket doors in a few locations. We bulked up the walls in many locations too. Some of the other changes are things we have discussed, but did not make it onto this set of plans
  • In the Butler's Pantry area, all three spaces are open, in order to allow a sofa to back up to the center opening, and still have passageways on the sides
  • In the Dining Room, the floor expansion of the step down dining area will be done with phase 1. We want it set up so that all of the changes to this area are done in anticipation of phase 2, allowing us to have minimal disruption of this area of the home in the future.
  • We discussed at transom window above the utility kitchen sink in order to let light from the family hall into the kitchen.
  • The corner seating curve on the kitchen island has become a very cool 48" round lazy suzan seating area. It sits in about the same location, but is inset


Most of the big changes happened upstairs. I really want the combination of functionality and great focal points upstairs. I realized that, in this plan version, the boys closets and bath were on opposite sides of the room. It is a lot of back and forth across the room to get dressed. I would like the closet and bath to have one entrance from the bedroom. They should also have a pass thru into the laundry room. I did a mock plan for Geri to follow with our software.

We need to maintain the 5 foot hallways. We also need to maintain 30-36 inch doors at all times. I like pocket doors for the laundry room and the boys' pass thru from bath into closets.

The entrance to our bedroom was affected by the laundry room/coset reconfiguration. The hall entrance is more central, so our one big closet can now be split into two.

The girl's room is totally changed. I did not like that the entrance focal point was the doors to the closet and bath, and that they were separated. I also want a very special built in spot for her. Take a look at....Girl's Bedroom