Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Kitchen Island

Work Triangle/Island Discussion:


  1. I like how discussions have moved the island into more of a "U" shape. I think that adds visual interest and it defines my work area better. I want this set up to rival the efficiency of an streamlined outdoor kitchen.
  2. I have attached to the concept of creating an island working "well" that would be lined with stainless steel and positioned about 3 inches below the other countertop, hence the term "well". I envision my center cooktop next to my sink with a faucet that might double as a pot filler, then there will be a nice prep and trash disposal, with my refrigerator, freezer and oven behind me.
    1. This is a photo of a contemporary kitchen that I found. I love so many things about it. All the materials mixed together, the utility, the wall of appliances similar to what we are planning. I would want ours to be more french country looking, but I think that will be easy to accomplish with finish selections.
  3. I would love to figure out how to mimic one of the big enamel faced ranges with our cabinet door and drawer facing the "working well" portion of this island, similar to the La Cornue photos below.

    1. The whole set up could end up looking very integrated and industrial, even though the actual cooking surface is just the 36" induction cooktop. I might want a color, like the green photo, or maybe black with brushed stainless and brushed brass accents.
    2. Concept of Island Drawings below.

    1. I do not pretend to be an artist, but I think the drawings explain the idea pretty well.
  1. I specifically want that back wall to contain a bunch of appliances because it creates a more industrial looking workspace in the heart of the kitchen, while keeping my other areas looking softer and more finished.

  1. Island concerns
  2. See above...
  3. We need multiple functional locations (this is starting to work out)
    1. Work areas
      1. U shape for prep, sink, cooking, and trash.
      2. Dishwasher
    1. Seating/staging.
      1. Our favorite idea is the large (~48) Lazy Susan table. The concept came about when we discovered that it would be a great way to serve from the work triangle. It would also be a great way to clear dishes after entertaining so that people could leave the dishes on the Lazy Susan and someone else could load. It keeps people from crossing paths during these activities. I might envision this being some in the distressed walnut finish from craft art.
        1. Since we talked about this concept, I found this Barry Dixon kitchen that used a similar idea for the lazy susan, although I am not sure if the entire table turns, or if it is just the center portion. Photo below. I would want ours to be set just above the countertop.
    1. Seating will most likely be Bausman counter stools
    2. Storage of a variety of items in deep, wide drawers.
    3. Towel bars done in brushed brass going the length of the work area.
  4. We also want to use our two lighted pot rack chandeliers.
  1. Ideally, I would like a big sink in the island, maybe the main sink, and garbage can/compacter, disposal and maybe even a dishwasher.
  2. We would most likely want the rest of the island cabinetry and countertop to contrast our choices for the main kitchen cabinets.
  3. The area on the left of the island will be a butcher block top, most likely checkerboard. It might function as a baking area, depending on what we do underneath with the shelving or if it is cabinetry. If it is shelving, it might store my stockpots, but if it is cabinetry, it might be a good spot to store baking supplies. Two different drawings are below.